Despite all the knitting that happened over the year, toward the end I began to lose my knitting mojo a bit. I knit myself a dishcloth like the ones I knit for my staff, and then, well, things mostly sat.
I made a bunch of knitted knockers (will get to 28 by the end of the week) because I really wasn’t in the mood to figure out what to knit next.
I did swatch a little for a vest for Luis – but didn’t get far.
This past weekend all of that faded. I began to hatch a couple of new things though. First, because my knitting friend Nhien is super generous, I got a skein of Knit Picks Capretta in a couple of hand-painted color ways. This yarn is super soft – it’s a super wash blend of merino and cashmere, with a touch of nylon. The color way I’ve started with is Springwater which has lovely blues, violet, and periwinkle colors:
I’m knitting the very basic CoPilot cowl (free on Ravelry), which is basically the Reyna shawl (also free on Ravelry) converted to a cowl. I tried first to use a draft pattern of my own that I had done years ago, but the yarn is too busy for it, and really I am looking for an everyday item. I love that I don’t have to do a lot of math to get this to work!
Apparently I cannot be relied upon to knit in the round – because while the initial joining was good, about a round later I twisted it up, and then didn’t discover that until about an inch was knit. By then I was not going frog it, so I twisted it back because this is cowl in variegated yarn and no one will care.
I also remembered that I had frogged the Wisteria sweater after reading that it didn’t really fit people very well. Apparently after that I had made another plan to knit the Copperplate cardigan, but when I looked at that pattern, I realized I’d be using a light worsted yarn for a pattern designed for sport weight yarn. The sweater would be way too heavy for the floaty look that the designer had in mind. So that plan got tossed (I’ll hold the pattern for another yarn someday), and I found a fun sweater by called Recoleta by Joji Locatelli which has been successfully knit in the Miss Babs Yowza several times.
Swatching went well,
so last night I cast-on for the lace collar, and by the third cast-on, I finally figured out how to knit it! Here’s half of the collar before I pulled out crochet provisional cast-on.
Onward and upward on two projects.
Next up: more serious swatching for the baby vest!