This past few weeks has been a knitting lull – an in-between point in which I was trying to figure out what to knit next, and while I labored over trying to crochet a butterfly.
As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, my fiber talents have gone towards garments and accessories, not art installation. This is as far as I got on my own:
which wasn’t very butterfly-like. Through the magical talents of Susan, our arts coordinator, we got to this:
— with molding wire, some tweaking, adding in the paper, and the pipe cleaners, it passed inspection. Apparently without some of these additions, it looked more like an insect than a butterfly – lol! And that’s ok – this was an experiment, and clearly not that successful, but it was a fun adventure while it lasted.
I decided I wanted to knit another summery top, and spent far too much time deep-diving into Ravelry to look for things. I thought I’d decided on a top,
and went looking for yarn and was reminded about this site called Colourmart – which sells cone ends of yarns used in manufacturing knitted items by machine. Lots of knitters, especially those who use lace yarn, swear by this stuff, which is very economical.
A couple of warnings: often the yarns on the cone still have oils in them that make them hardier for the knitting by machine, and most of the single yarns are fingering weight and lighter, although folks often double or triple the yarns for hand-knitting purposes. Also, the weights of the yarn are expressed by formula (see here) so you have to be able to decode them to understand what they are.
I decided to do a smallish adventure into a Colourmart purchase, and found some cotton/silk/linen blend yarn at an economical $36 for a shell-type garment (800 yards of fingering weight). It came lickety-split — and I quickly knit up a swatch. Now knitting this yarn requires a special technique as well – this is coned yarn, so I pulled out my “lazy kate” and stuck a pen into the hole and plopped the cone on top of it. For now, it works and it’s free, although I probably should get a rotating yarn holder. Once I knit my swatch, which looked like this:
I realized that the yarn probably had machine oils in the yarn, so at first I just soaked the yarn and then smelled it – yuck – there were definitely still oils in the yarn. Then I machined-washed the swatch in warm water, and allowed it to dry. It passed the smell test this time. Here’s a comparison – left-hand swatch is just off the needles, and the other one is post-washing.
So, after all that, I’ve decided to make a variation on a tank top that I designed a while back and has never been blogged about because I had this notion of turning it into a knitting pattern. I’ve gotten this far:
Yeah, not so much, but the lull is over at least!
Tomorrow I’ll blog about the project that I did finish. The Lull is officially over!