Customfit Redux: Part 2


In Part 1 I discussed the planning of the knitting for the 2nd Customfit sweater; in this part, I’ll review my knitting and adjustments.

I began knitting the back as the pattern for CustomFit says – I do find it easier to complete the biggest part of the knitting first. I put the two mirrored cables in the center of the sweater between the decrease/seam lines, and it turned out that I only had to add in one stitch between the seam markers to work everything out. I added 1/2 inch to the body of the sweater, and 1/2 inch to the armhole as well – remember in Part 1 where I said I second-guessed the measurements a bit? This is where I changed things, figured a little extra is better than not enough.


On the front, I decided to try to put the cables right where CustomFit pattern indicated seam-lines, so I moved over the decrease/seam lines by about 4 stitches on each side to the outside, and I think the effect worked well (when I put it on her will be the actual test!). I also added in four stitches, two into each part where the cable appeared. (These were decreased out in the final bind-off at the shoulders). As I knit to the armhole, I realized that the front neck depth was really short – it would be almost a crew neck sweater, which was not the look I was going for. Instead, I began the indicated decreases for the neck at the same time as the armhole, working as indicated in the pattern for the neck. At the same time, I realized that if I didn’t make any adjustment, the cable pattern would get cut-off as I knit the neckline, so I made some of the decreases for the neckline on the outside of the cable, so that a slight diagonal slant for the cable would ensure that the full cable was still knit. I did the decreases about one stitch for every four rows, which was a pretty good decision. This is what the front looked like after blocking.



On the sleeves, I knit the seed stitch in one size smaller needle with the same stitch count as in the pattern, and switched to the larger size for the body of the arms. I worried that they might end up being too short and added a 1/2 inch (anyone else see the pattern here?) before the armhole, and added in the same 1/2 inch to the armscythe that I had already added to the front and back, so they would match.
(no photos, sleeves are boring)

After wet blocking all the pieces, I sewed the sweater together, knit the neckline (using one size smaller needles), stitched the hem. This is the sweater before the final blocking:


It looked ok, but I did a final steam block on the seams and spray blocked the neckline for a truly finished look!


I really like how this sweater came out – and crossing fingers that it will be a good fit! After this second sweater, I think I really understand the basic construction of the CustomFit sweaters – I think it’ll be time to make another one for me soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.