FO: Youth Blanket for Afghans for Afghans

As another batch of the yummy Lentil Soup simmers on the stove, I’m taking an opportunity to post about the finallyfinished Youth Blanket for Afghans for Afghans. This started as leftover squares from a long ago baby blanket project, using Mauch Chunky. Then it was briefly entered into the 2010 Ravelympics, which it did not complete, and went into complete hibernation after that. Now, at last, it is done!


A few notes on the techniques I used. After single-crocheting around each square, I slip-stitched along the vertical seams, going under both loops from the front side, which created a slight, and to my eye, attractive ridge. But I didn’t want that on the horizontal seams, so I slip-stitched from the back side, and just took the back loops on each square, which is a lovely technique that is really, really solid, but very flexible.

For the border, I used a couple of black skeins and a bit of the bright bits leftover for a stripe along the top edge. To get the stitches on the borders, I did each side separately. I picked up the stitches, and then knit into the back of the loop, so the twist would make that edge firm. At each end on the first side, I increased into the front and back of the last stitch. On the second side, I would increase on the front, and knit that last stitch into the previous side’s edge on the back.

Now I’ve still got the Twist cardigan in suspended animation, but enough energy to focus on that now!

And the Candleglow scarf is coming along, bit by bit. I love the colors!

Candeglow Scarf1b