Knitting for Good Projects

FO: Youth Raglan Sweater for Afghans for Afghans

The sweater is completely done – including blocking and ends tucked in:


I’m very happy with this, especially since I fudged my way through the pattern.  It’s one of those sweaters where the appealing colors and design help disguise the fact that a.  I did not plan the colors or the patterns ahead of time for the yoke, and b.  the stitch count for the yoke was off, and I just hid that little problem along one side of the back.

This points out a really important thing about knitting:  most of the time, little problems are things only you will notice, and others will look at the big picture.  If it is an item going thousands of miles away, where you will not see the little error daily, then it is a great time to simply let it go.  Really, you can.

I did have to re-do the ribbing at the neckline.  I started with doing a tubular cast-off which worked very well for the sleeve and body:


but turned out way too tight for the neckline.  So, I regrouped and used the new Jeny’s surprisingly stretchy bind-off, which worked like a dream, and meant that I, the big-headed one, could get the sweater over my head with no problem.


I must also sing the praises of this lovely yarn (Misti Merino), which I got in the spring sale from WEBS.  It is very soft, gains a wonderful drape in the blocking, with a lovely halo.  My plan for the leftovers was to make socks, but the softness and Merino wooliness makes me cautious, so I’m making mittens instead, and will hunt my worsted leftovers for more appropriate sock yarn.