Ah, the Olympics are over and now I can sleep. Seriously, does this cramp anyone else’s life for two weeks? Fortunately I was able to refrain from watching most of the live coverage on my iPad.
I didn’t finish one of my
Ravelympic Ravellenic projects: Florina. The yarn was tricky to deal with (a single ply yarn that is thick and thin will just be that way), and I frankly got a little bored with the project once I’d figured out how to deal with the pattern, which is presented as a diagram similar to Japanese patterns, I’m told.
Last Thursday, I had a training that enabled me to do a bunch of knitting on this, so it is finally done!
Speaking of the training, some readers may know that I teach water aerobics, and one thing that I learned at my YMCA training to assist lifeguards on Thursday evening is that I suck at swimming – big time. Seriously, if I had to swim 100 yards straight it would be close. So I’ve decided that in addition to losing the remaining pounds put on during stressful times in the last few years, I will regain my skills to be a basic swimmer – not anything competitive, but good enough to swim 100 yards without having to stop. I probably will not be the go-to girl to save your life, but at least I won’t need saving myself!
Now Florina is off the needles and blocked:
and you definitely want to use blocking wires for this – the yarn is so twisty that it doesn’t really like to just settle down. All that is left is sewing up, which with two big seams and tacking down and grafting the neck should not take long.
More knitting has been happening in these August days: In my boredom with Florina, I knit Pogona, a mitered squarish shawl by Stephen West in some knit swap yarn. (rav project details) I’m very grateful for Ravelry, which warned me that the yardage indicated would probably be too small (it was), and I found another Raveler’s project notes which gave me a way to estimate my yardage to use up all the goodness.
Here’s the tip: As you get close to the end of the pattern, take your remaining yarn and weigh it at the beginning of a row. Now knit 2 rows and weigh again. Determine the number of grams of yarn used, which will then tell you (roughly) how many more rows that you will get out of the remaining yarn. In my project’s case, I was using about 5 grams of yarn for 2 rows in stockinette, and the final part of the pattern was garter ridges (3). So, when I got to 25 grams left, I started the garter ridges, knit 3 of them, and had enough for a cast-off in purl that created a final garter ridge. Grams left: 2!
Now that it is done and blocked, I’m not sure that I’ll wear it all that much – the size is ok, but the corners seem awkward to me. Guess I’ll wait for colder weather to see how I might wear it.
Now I’m back to the two other sweaters on the needles, the guy sweater for Dennis. I’m worried about gauge, but I think I’ll knit the back and see how we’re doing after that. For my own Hey, Teach! I’m on to the sleeves, now that I’ve found the magical directions to make 3/4 length sleeves on a blog. Thank you, Ravelry, for constantly saving me hours of time to figure this stuff out!