Another campaign for Afghans for Afghans is coming to a close, and I’ve got a sweater to send in, using stash yarn given to me a while back:
The yarn itself is a DK weight, which presented some issues for a sweater intended for this charity. The items are sent to folks with little to no indoor heating, so sweaters are like jackets. I decided to use some of the other fibers in the donated stash to warm up the sweater, specifically a boucle mohair paired with a soft angora. Now the mohair is an incredibly strong fiber, so I figured knitting it with the lovely, so soft and very warm angora would be a good match, and putting this on the yoke would mean that where you usually want more warmth, it would be there. I also alternated rows with the DK wool for strength – I don’t want anything falling apart. This has turned out well, but was not fun at all to knit. I’m not sure that I’ll use any more of the mohair/angora.
I added a bit of the same technique at the cuff, and made the ribbing extra long to fold back on itself for more warmth.
The final feature was a knitting hem at the neckline. I knit about 1 1/2 inches in 2×2 rib, knit a purl “turning row” then switched to needles sizes two sizes smaller for the stockinette hem (which is a smoother finish, and a tighter gauge. Then I cut the yarn, leaving a long enough tail to graft the live stitches to the inside of the sweater, so the bonus is that the seam where I picked up the neck stitches is now covered, which should be nicer for the wearer. It’s double warm and a nice finish.
The final sweater is about a 34″ chest, with a couple of added inches to the body and sleeves for Afghan modesty. Whew, I’m glad this one is done.
Brandy might have gotten a little too excited…